Sunday, March 25, 2007

red rum red rum

I keep playing with my toenail and opening it back and forth saying, "red rum, red rum." No one is particularly enjoying this. The toe was only lifted a little, just newly injured from the race today. But we all have ripped toenails off before so we could put our shoe back on, or to run a race. No big deal right? But this puppy was still alive and even connected down to the nerves where they push your cuticles back (all but one piece let go) it hurt like and SOC (son of a cat) -not allowed to swear. And it was still attached to my skin under the toe, they are usually dead, so I didn’t know this about the toenail…. it was so gory it was like something out of Friday the 13th. :)

Anyway the half marathon was fun. I ran with D, we decided to go a slower pace -this was his longest running race (YEAH D!) - but at the five mile mark -the lady standing by the 5 mile sign yelled "fifty minutes" and I look around me and these mothers were around me chit chatting up a storm (nothing wrong with mothers) -just not out of breath talking about their kids, an old man right in front of me, and there it happened, that thing I do, I can't let these people beat me, I want the front, I want to go go go go, no goodbye, nada, just got a little lost in the moment and started running. My leg, toe, knee hurt, but I felt emotionally great, not winded. It was a pretty hilly run which surprised me. I finished just at two hours - D quickly did the math. I ran five miles at ten minute miles and 8:37 for the last 8. I had a lot more to give too. Darn it.

I have to post my Jamaica pictures, esp. my zip line pictures, one was a thousand feet and one was 750. There were seven total. Being in the jungle was awesome, walking up to the zips, it was like an adventure.

I also kayaked -almost lost forever. I was by myself in the kayak and the waves kept taking me out further and the wind was brutal, I did all the tricks trying going in slightly parallel, but it was tough and turned out to be a good exercise. Lesson learned; don’t go by yourself out in the ocean –no one to eat if you are lost out to sea. You will starve!

I went run at 6am on an 8 mile beach, I climbed these rocks when the beach ended and there was a little cove, and these guards (guards with guns- started yelling at me.) But hotel said it was an 8 mile beach and I knew I had only gone two –and I am almost over the rocks and they are yelling more – I finally stop look up and they were pointing to a gate, oops, “It’s easier. Ya Man?” Probably would have been but I enjoyed the climb.

We also snorkeled... just BEAUTIFUL.

I had extra stress on my mind which put a damper on the trip but there were over 20 of us so it helped a ton. Such beautiful fun people.

1 comment:

Hart said...

congrats on the 1/2 marathon to both you and dan!